Wednesday, August 5, 2009

First Stage of Creating Textured Contemporary Abstract Art

In this blog I'm going to explain my first stage in creating my Abstract Art: Texture

One of my favorite characteristics of Abstract Art is texture. Texture is so important in my pieces. Texture, actually is THE most important element of my Abstract Art. It is essential for my art to have a 3-dimensional quality to it. I have tried just simply painting color on canvas, but I always return to the texture.

Texture can be created in so many different ways in Artwork. You can use the paint itself as a texturing element by painting on extra thick or use a pallet knife. You can mix in a texturing medium that mixes in with the paint. You can use other mixed-media items such as tissue paper or any material that will give the piece a 3-D effect.

The way that I usually start my pieces is by covering the canvas with old, clumpy, thick, expired gesso. That’s right... I have cans and cans of old gesso that have coagulated into this fabulous textured medium. I smear it and stipple it and cluster it over and over until it just feels and looks right to me. Sometimes it takes two minutes and I’m done, other times I’ll be there for an hour manipulating the medium on the canvas. In these pictures you can see the textured canvas after it has dried. The final picture is showing the texture after I started painting it. Click on the images to really get a zoomed in view.

Next week I'll talk about color!!



No comments: